Thursday, April 19, 2018

The Daily Walk......




After a manically busy week in Chester getting to know 29 other people, all just as nervous and in trepidation of this as I am, I finally arrived in Gandia on Monday.

Gandia is a pretty University town about 65 kms outside Valencia.  It was an important centre in the 15th and 16th centuries, some historical buildings are still located in the City area.  The beach area, with a fab beach, bars, nightlife etc is about 2 kms away, which helps maintain the traditional and Spanish feel to this City part.

I have a short walk from the apartment to the School, which I’m going to show you, walk this way...

My first landmark is the Tourist Office, this is where the old railway station, which opened in 1892, was situated.  Next to it is one of the steam trains that ran along it between Gandia and Alcoy, transporting coal imported from the UK. The steam trains were built in Manchester!


I then come across a statute of a local, and one assumes, important, poet called Ausias March.  This monument celebrates 500 years of the Town’s culture.   Unfortunately, (or not) I have no idea of what his poetry is like – I’m sure it’s on the internet somewhere if anyone’s interested!


A little further on, and a view materialises, of the mountains that surround the town, nicely framed on either side by a typical Gandia street.



Skip, skip, hop, hop and we arrive at the oldest sight on my journey – The Rotunda – apparently an important financial centre - beautiful stone...


From the Rotunda, turn the corner,  and wham, the great seat of all learning - 

ESCOLAPIAS  SCHOOL GANDIA




Well, it certainly beats the usual M25 commute!



1 comment: