Tuesday, April 17, 2018

First week in A Coruña

We arrived at our 'Residencia' in A Coruña after midnight on Saturday. Fran(cisco), the local co-ordinator, and Amina, a former Erasmus student who is now working here, met us at the airport and joined us for a late night supper. I thought that I wouldn't be hungry after a large meal at Heathrow before the flight, but still found room for tortilla and tuna empanadas.

On Sunday morning, Fran told us about Spanish schools and we had our first Spanish lesson - a really useful introduction, especially for some in the group who had never learnt any Spanish before. Then we were free to explore. It was cold and rainy but, undeterred, some of us took a taxi to the old town and immediately noticed the striking architecture: the front of the tall buildings facing the seafront are full of windows, producing a strange latticed effect.
DSC01276.JPG

We walked through the huge Plaza de Maria Pita and along the harbour front, full of fishing boats, sailing dinghies and some working boats. Luckily, it had stopped raining by now and many families were also walking along the promenade. I found out later that, in the morning, there had been a fun run right round the promontory, in which many students and teachers at my school had taken part.


One of the classes on my timetable is Transport and Logistics, a subject that I know little or nothing about. Looking for inspiration, I thought that the port provided some excellent possible topics for discussion, such as the dome-shaped container that looked as if it contained ballast for freight ships.


We walked back through the walled, medieval part of the city. I hadn't expected it to be so beautiful, full of all kinds of interesting old buildings and churches. I hope to have time to explore it more fully later on in our stay.



Then back to the Residencia which is right next door to the school where I'll be working - school on the left, residence on the right. There won't be any excuse for being late for class!


I feel very lucky to be here, especially because, as the oldest member of the group, I've been made to feel very welcome by everyone involved.

1 comment: