Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Finally.....

A Coruña

So now on to A Coruña....I knew it was on the Atlantic, I knew the weather was changeable, but I was a little shocked at how windy it was and how cold it felt in the first two days. Had I packed all the wrong clothes? On Tuesday afternoon however, the sun came out, the temperature rose and the wind died down. The coast has a rugged beauty, similar to the west coast of my native Scotland, but with added sunshine and I’d love to show you the pics I took but several attempts at downloading them from iPad have all failed. Doh!

I am teaching at Calasancias school, which is a 30 minute bus ride from the residentia. The bus times are a little unreliable, so it’s essential to be well organised and out quickly in the morning.  The teachers, Jenny, Maria Jose and Luismi have been so welcoming and so have all the children I’ve met.

I am teaching Infantils, 3-5 years and primary 5-7 years. Being so young, they are demanding, and it’s so easy to lose control in seconds. They are though, surprisingly very good at English and know a lot of vocabulary, even if there’s a slight, shy, reluctance to speak in front of me.  I have a feeling that will change!

I’ve observed and participated in some lovely lessons, the school has excellent resources for this age group of children. I was very impressed with an interactive noughts and crosses game that the learners loved and embraced with great enthusiasm. This offered the opportunity for them to play a competitive game that practised the language of that days lesson. A great memory from my first week.


No comments:

Post a Comment