Tuesday, April 24, 2018


Friday 20th April 2018

At the end of the first working week in Spain it still feels a little like a holiday. The whole lifestyle seems somewhat more “laid back” than I am used to, and I think it could take a while before I don’t feel guilty about leaving school  - along with most of the staff - at 2pm, into the glorious sunshine. On those occasions when I have stayed on site to use the reprographics, to discuss issues with my mentor or in search for resources, I quickly found myself in an (almost) deserted building. I am told that the Government is encouraging schools to move to a day lasting from 9a.m. to 2p.m, rather than incorporating a siesta, when the pupils invariably go home, and expecting the children to return to school in the later afternoon, as that second session is often unproductive time. As I walk away from school in the warmth of the mid afternoon I cannot but applaud this arrangement.
I love my school. I am becoming known by the children and staff, who now greet me with “Good morning,” or “Hello”, rather than “Hola”, and a smile and (with the children) often a ‘high five’.
I don’t know if I’ll be joining you on your return to the UK ................

1 comment:

  1. These school timings sound very sensible. In contrast, all the A Coruna schools have very long hours, starting and finishing late, so the last lessons of the day - often 5-6 pm - are full of weary children too tired to learn. In other respects the schools here are great, though.

    ReplyDelete