Thursday, May 3, 2018

The week that was...a week?

Another busy week here in the sunny city of Valencia. I have got organised and up-to-date with my lesson planning so I can take a breath and reflect on my time here. Spain has been eye opening for me in many ways, from the beauty of its old streets to the energy of its people, it has made me feel so welcome. Recently we had a national holiday and a 'bridging' day (this is when the school takes the Monday off after the Sunday when the Tuesday is a holiday). As everyone had at least one day off, we organised a few excursions. The first was to the beach where I swam in the sea and had my first taste of Spanish fast food.

The second was to see the Valencia vs. Alaves football match, I was nervous before going to the match as I had never been to one; I am not a football supporter and I find watching football on the TV boring. However I did know two things before I entered the stadium, the first was that in Spain, football is seen as a major sport and second was that I would regret not experiencing such a huge event first-hand. I am so glad that I went as what :was a thrilling and nail-biting piece of open air theatre with faked injuries, crowd participation and catchy chants; the atmosphere of the stadium was addictive and charged with passion as people leapt from their seats to lambast the referee for their team or to urge a possible goal.

The rest of the week by comparison was sedate with bat watching at the local train station and tapas evenings being the other highlights. It is with the tinge of sadness that I reflect on the duration of this experience, despite missing my family I feel like I have found a place here and have developed because of that. Nearing the end of the third week, I wonder anew at what has been and ready myself for what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment