Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Another week in Valencia





The new school week -   For me that is an 8 am observed lesson with a group of 14 year olds!  Due to the delayed start at School last week I haven’t yet had any chance to meet or even see this class.  Hey ho, I’ve chatted with their Teacher, and the subject for the lesson is to revise the past and future tenses.
The class starts with the Teacher taking the register and reading a ‘Thought for the Day’ to get them into the correct frame of mind – they all listen diligently.  I then start with my usual introduction, using the STAR game, and as they are older than the classes I observed last week, I extended the game to encourage them to ask additional/follow on questions, which they were able to do.
We continued with a warm up activity - I had made scrunch balls out of screwed up plastic bags (to ensure no actual violence or injury would ensue) and they played a game in groups of throwing the scrunchball to each other, the ball catcher having to give a past tense verb.  This went down well – all good so far.
I ran through some vocab, then commenced with the main worksheet activity (provided by the teacher) – speaking in pairs to find out specific information about what the characters had done at the weekend from information in a paragraph.  They participated in the exercise diligently and very loudly – although it was apparent they hadn’t understood the finer details of the instruction, and generally were talking around the questions asked, rather than the specific questions.  On the plus side they were mainly doing something around what was asked and were attempting to do it in English – I’m taking this as a positive!
I introduced another talking activity, again provided by the teacher, which had even more complicated instructions – I could barely work out what the students were to do.  Nevertheless, they manfully ploughed through this, again participating well in some type of speaking activity, in English – I think it was more about what they had done at the weekend, than the exercise in question.  I’m taking this first lesson as a personal success – quite a lot of English was spoken, around the subject and using the correct tenses, they had fun with the game and no violence, injury or anarchy ensued!  Obviously, I’m not losing sight of the purpose of me being here which is to provide me with much needed experience – plenty of scope for development.



I then went with the BACH (6th form) classes – groups of 5-6 students had all created plays of children’s stories, (in English) to perform to the nursery and primary classes.  The 6th formers had had to adapt the story, write the script, create some scenery and devise some simple costumes.  Additionally, they had also created some pre/post play worksheets.  Whilst the 6th formers seemed a little shy of donning some kitten ears, fairy wings or other paraphernalia to be Cinderella or the Gruffalo,  they generally got into their plays, and the small children were delighted with it  - I simply can’t image British 17 year olds acting drama scenes, in  another language,  for 2-10 year olds, so I was most impressed with this……….

                       
                                 The 3 Blind Mice













      Goldilocks








                            The Gruffalo










No comments:

Post a Comment